- Box Lock
- Firearms Guns Flintlock French & Indian War Revolutionary War British Military
- French & Indian War
- French & Indian War 1754-1763
- Georgian Silver
- Great Britain
- Jeremiah Ashley
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Queen Anne
- Silver mounted
- Tap Action
A Fine English Steel & Silver Mounted Queen Anne Style Turn-Off Cannon Barrel Flintlock Pistol by HAWKES, OXFORD
A Fine Antique English Steel & Silver Mounted Queen Anne Style Turn-Off Cannon Barrel Flintlock Pistol by HAWKES, OXFORD, circa. 1760's. Engraved breech with a 6.25", .58 caliber rifled steel turn-off cannon muzzle barrel. This pistol is most likely one of a pair and is in its original flintlock configuration. The all steel frame bolster, trigger guard, wrist escutcheon, and side plate has fine decoration. The lock has fine decorative engraving and maker signed "HAWKES", "OXFORD" just below the frizzen spring. The left side of the breech is struck with an oval "PROOF" mark. The wood stock has a decorative raised high-relief section carved in the form of a scallop shell executed around the engraved barrel tang, period repair just above the rear of the lock plate, a mended stress crack just below the lock plate in the trigger area but is otherwise solid with light scratches and dings from years of handling. Classic Georgian period sterling silver grotesque face butt cap with hallmarks. 13.5" overall length. The pistol is in good mechanical working order. Type used in the American colonies during the end of the French & Indian War through the American Revolution. A great example worthy of any museum collection...
NOTE: The pistol is in its original flintlock configuration with no replacement parts. Stock restoration as mentioned. All steel parts have areas of light pitting from rust.
ABOUT THE MAKER: Made most likely by Richard HAWKES who is one of the more well known 18th century English gun makers of the Georgian era who specialized in silver mounted Queen Anne style pistols.
THE STERLING SILVER HALLMARKS: The butt cap has visible hallmarks. The sterling silver furniture was made by "J A", (JEREMIAH ASHLEY) who is recorded to have worked at the corner of Green Street, Leicester Fields starting in November 12th 1740.