- Box Lock
- Firearms Guns Flintlock French & Indian War Revolutionary War British Military
- French & Indian War
- French & Indian War 1754-1763
- Georgian Silver
- Great Britain
- Jeremiah Ashley
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Queen Anne
- Silver mounted
- Tap Action
A Fine English Silver Mounted Queen Anne Style Turn-Off Cannon Barrel Flintlock Pistol by DELANY, LONDON
A Fine Antique English Silver Mounted Queen Anne Style Turn-Off Cannon Barrel Flintlock Pistol by DELANY, LONDON, circa. 1740. 5.25", .60 caliber smooth-bore steel turn-off cannon muzzle barrel numbered "1" (most likely one of a pair). The pistol is in its original flintlock configuration. The all steel frame has fine decorative engraving on the top of the breech and "LONDON" (a bit worn in areas) and "DELANY" just below the frizzen spring on the right side. The bottom of the breech is struck with (2) oval "PROOF" and "VIEW" marks just in front of the trigger guard as well as a "CROWN" over "F" (Foreigner's mark). Engraved steel trigger guard. The wood grip stock is solid with light scratches and dings from years of handling. Beautiful classic high-relief Georgian period sterling silver furniture includes a wrist escutcheon engraved with an unidentified family crest depicting a man kneeling with what appears to be a sword in his chest, panoply-of-arms side plate, and a grotesque face butt cap with hallmarks. 12.25" overall length. The pistol is in good mechanical working order. Type used in the American colonies during the French & Indian War and American Revolution. A great example worthy of any museum collection...
NOTE: The pistol is in its original flintlock configuration with no replacement parts or restoration. All steel parts have areas of light pitting from rust.
ABOUT THE MAKER: Henry DELANY is one of the more well known 18th century English gun makers of the Georgian era who specialized in silver mounted Queen Anne style pistols.
THE STERLING SILVER HALLMARKS: The butt cap has visible hallmarks. The sterling silver furniture was made by "J A", (JEREMIAH ASHLEY) who is recorded to have worked at the corner of Green Street, Leicester Fields starting in November 12th 1740.